Crock Pot Enchilada Stack

Cold weather? First week of classes? A craving for anything comforting, (dairy free) cheesy and cozy? Three checks and the crock pot needed to come out!

When I'm short on time or simply lazy (*insert shrug*), nothing makes me happier than walking in my apartment after a long day of classes to the smell of enchiladas baking away in my slow cooker. 

Ever since my celiac disease diagnosis, Mexican has been one of the main cuisines my tummy vetoes. However, by controlling the spice level and omitting troublesome ingredients like onion, garlic and cheese, this recipe pleases my taste buds and my tummy.

In particular, these babies are gluten free, low fodmap and optionally vegan; packed with protein, veggies, healthy fats and carbs; and easy to make and eat

casey the college celiac
All those toppings! <3

To get your fiesta started, gather the following ingredients (including those linked to in the optional condiment recipes below). For the ultimate quick meal, prepare the vegan cheese sauce, homemade gluten free enchilada sauce, and shredded chicken ahead of time. 

Crock Pot Enchilada Stack Ingredients:

Servings: 3-4 (made in a 4 quart crock pot)

Around 3 large of your choice gluten free tortillas (I use and love Food for Life's Brown Rice Tortillas. Minimal ingredients and versatile taste!) 
1/2 cup of shredded chicken (made ahead of time in crock pot or by poaching) - omit or replace if vegan 
1 half a large zucchini, chopped 
1 half a large yellow squash, chopped
1/4 cup of black beans (increase if creating a vegan version) 
4 ounces of mushrooms, chopped
Shredded spinach or other greens 
1/2 serving of homemade enchilada sauce or one can of favorite sauce 
Generous sprinkling of cheese (Daiya, The Vegan8's vegan cheese sauce, or regular cheese) on every layer 
Chicken or vegetable stock or water 

The best part? This recipe takes only 15 minutes to throw in the crock pot if the chicken, cheese sauce, and enchilada sauce are made in advance. 


casey the college celiac
I'll admit...I love a "dump it in" dinner!

How to Make Your Slow Cooker Enchiladas:

Begin by throwing your chopped vegetables in a pot with enough chicken/veggie stock or water to cover; simmer the mixture until the water/stock evaporates and the veggies are soft to the touch. Then, add your chicken, beans, greens and 3/4 of your enchilada sauce. Mix and set aside. 

Now, start stacking! Pour enough enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of the crock pot. Then, rip your tortillas as needed to fit the base of crock pot. Using a large spoon, add around a third of your filling on the tortilla. Sprinkle (or drizzle in the case of the vegan cheese sauce) some cheese on top, then repeat for another two layers (or until all filling is used).


casey the college celiac
Worthy of a close up...
Personally, I use the cheese sauce for all the layers except the top, when I add a little daiya cheese. You won't miss the dairy - trust me! I also leave my enchilada stack "open-faced" by not placing another layer of tortillas over the final coating of filling. Since I don't eat much gluten free bread or tortillas, I don't miss the extra layer, but feel free to add it! Some extra ingredients to experiment with include bell peppers, tomatoes, ground turkey, beef or a vegan meat substitute. 

Cook the stack for 3-4 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high. I've found that cooking on low creates a more moist, gooey stack while high causes crispy, slightly burned edges. Both taste delicious so the choice is yours. You can also alternate between settings for the best of both (edible) worlds!  


casey the college celiac
Never met a bowl of this I haven't liked!
To serve, I love eating a scoop of enchilada casserole topped with avocado and cabbage for a crunchy, creamy combo. And, as usual, a side salad with apple cider vinegar and some green beans accompany! You could also add rice, extra beans, tortilla chips or salsa for an extra kick. 

On some days, only quick comfort food will do the trick. Thanks to my small slow cooker, some delicious gf and vegan recipes, and a little planning ahead, even college celiacs can throw a flavor fiesta


*Also found at What's Cookin' Wednesday!*

What's your favorite enchilada toppings? Do you use a slow cooker? Comment below! 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts