A gluten-free blog about the life of a celiac in college (and now grad school). Full of personal stories about life with celiac disease and fibromyalgia; gluten free, vegan and paleo recipes; and product and restaurant reviews. Plus, reflects on body image, dating and more with a chronic illness!
15 Thoughts Everyone Has Crying During a Yoga Class
Just picture this: it's 5:30 on a Saturday night and you're busy (carefully) balancing and (heavily) breathing during a hot yoga class at your local studio.
Then, suddenly, it happens. A song comes on that reminds you of an ex-boyfriend, that time you saw a dead bunny decorating the side of a highway, or anything in between. And, in between the sweat, the grunts and the ujjayi breathing, a tear begins to trickle down your face.
And so it begins...
As quickly as the instructor says, "Time to flow," these 15 thoughts probably race through your mind.
(Based on a recent and true story. Skeptical of or curious about why people may cry during yoga? Just google "crying yoga" and prepare for an avalanche of articles).
1. Is that a tear? Or are my eyes just sweating with me? They both taste salty so how am I supposed to know?
2. Crap, I'm definitely crying. I know they say yoga can bring up "all kinds of feelings" in their brochure, but they weren't serious, right?
3. Does that mean their other claims are right too? *Reminds self to check for abs and a suddenly younger appearance in the mirror when home*
4. Okay, I can do this. Just breathe...push it out of your mind...while balancing on one foot, breathing only through my nose and trying to not slip on my own sweat.
5. Thank God. Downward dog. *Sneakily wipe my face on my sleeve while throwing my left foot in the air.*
6. Why are all these songs about love and death? Why don't we "shake it off" while we meditate today, huh?
My kind of dance party?
7. Good, we've hit the ab session. That means we're halfway through. Feel the burn, focus on the burn...of my abs, not my eyes?
8. What else are you supposed to say when instructors ask mid-class, "How'severyone's doing?" "Great, except my thighs are shaking and I think you've strained my sentimental tendon." I say: "Great!" with everyone else instead.
9. At least no one can see tears when your face is already a sweaty tomato, right? *Peeks around people in front of me to see the mirror* Hot mess, perfect disguise!
10. Wait, how many people have cried in a yoga class when I thought they were just sweating profusely?
11. *Pats self on the back for not ever wearing mascara to yoga* Genius right here.
12. Okay, I think I've recovered now...except now she wants us to curl up in a ball and see how it feels to be constricted. It feels like I'm going to tear up again. Only partially because it's hard to breathe.
13. *Stealthily uses washcloth meant to wipe sweat from face to dab eyes*
14. Finally, chavasna. Can I get an extra spritz of those reviving oils please? Physically and emotionally dead over here!
15. *Says "Namaste" and walks out of yoga, drenched in sweat, feeling like a badass.* Time for a hot date with a shower and ginormous bowl of nana ice cream.