Dye-Free Coconut Rainbow Cookies (Gluten Free, Vegan)

There's something irresistible about eating the rainbow. Whether it's a batch of my superfood rainbow bliss balls or Starbuck's unicorn frappuccino, people love a good rainbow recipe. So, when I was experimenting with a new gluten free cookie recipe, I, of course, had to create my own dye-free rainbow cookies.

This gluten free and vegan cookie recipe is loaded with healthy ingredients like coconut flour, rice flour, banana and a handful of fruits and superfoods for color. I know I've talked about the benefits of coconut flour before, but this paleo flour deserves another shout out. After all, coconut flour is not only allergy friendly, paleo and vegan, but also loaded with fiber and healthy fats

Dye-Free Coconut Rainbow Cookies (Gluten Free, Vegan)

Want to make these vegan rainbow cookies entirely paleo as well? You could try replacing the rice flour with another paleo flour, like almond flourcassava flour or a paleo baking flour mix, to help give it structure. You may need to add a little coconut oil and/or agave nectar for extra binding, but I bet these gluten free cookies would taste just as delicious!

Ready to learn how to make rainbow cookies that are healthy and allergy-friendly? Gather a few simple ingredients to form the cookie base. This will make a little over one tray of small cookies:

1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour (you can use store-bought or homemade; I ground rice into flour using my Nutribullet)
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/4 cup of milk (I use unsweetened rice milk)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
*A few tablespoons of water

Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Once they're well incorporated, add the mashed ripe banana and rice milk. Stir until you have a thick dough. If it seems too dry, add a TBSP of water at a time until you get your preferred consistency. 

Dye-Free Coconut Rainbow Cookies (Gluten Free, Vegan)


Now, the fun part: adding the rainbow colors! These gluten free cookies may take a little more time than the traditional chocolate chip, but the colorful result is worth it. Plus, if you want a fun, easy and allergy-friendly cooking project for kids, this natural "dyeing" step is perfect for them!

To get the rainbow colors, scoop out a small portion of dough and add one of the following ingredients to each portion. (Note: depending on how long this "coloring" step takes, you might have to add more water to the rest of your dough. The coconut flour will keep soaking it up as you work!). For the various colors, use:

- Red: mashed raspberries (I defrosted frozen ones for 20 seconds and used those)  
- Orange/Yellow: a small scoop of turmeric 
- Green: a small scoop of spirulina 
- Blue/Purple: mashed blackberries and blueberries (again, defrosted for 20 seconds); could also use acai powder if you have some on hand 
- Brown: cacao powder. 

Simply add these superfood "dyes" to your separate portions of dough, mix until the cover is evenly spread throughout your portion and plop your cookie on a baking tray covered with parchment paper. I like my rainbow cookies small and thin, almost like wafers, so I flattened them with my spatula. If you like larger or thicker cookies, just make fewer cookies and don't flatten them on the tray.

Dye-Free Coconut Rainbow Cookies (Gluten Free, Vegan)

Don't be afraid to experiment with this vegan cookies recipe either. I kept these rainbow cookies one color each, but you could try combining colors. You could also mold these gluten free cookies into fun shapes, like rainbow heart cookies. It's also worth mentioning that these cookies aren't very sweet since I only use banana as the sweetener. If you want a more traditional "dessert" flavor, add honey, agave nectar or another sweetener. Really, your imagination - and time - is the limit!

Once all your dough has been dyed and shaped, pop your trays in the oven. I baked mine for around 35 minutes, turning halfway through. I prefer crunchy edges, so I waited until my rainbow cookies were browned on the outside. If you like softer cookies, just take yours out sooner

One note to keep in mind: these cookies won't be "hard" to the touch. Even when fully baked, they are delicate and tender thanks to the coconut flour. So instead of basing your "done time" on texture, poke one cookie with a fork to make sure it's baked through (or look for browned edges). And the best part about vegan cookies like these? You can also eat them slightly gooey in the center. (No eggs, no problem!)

Dye-Free Coconut Rainbow Cookies (Gluten Free, Vegan)
Because these rainbow cookies are refined sugar-free, they taste just as delicious for dessert at they do for a breakfast or snack. Personally, I enjoy eating these gluten free cookies with my morning smoothie bowl or nightly yogurt parfait. And I know that these would also be scrumptious crumbled on ice cream or used as the cookies for a nice cream sandwich

Perhaps the best part of this healthy cookies recipe, though, is that it's actually my first submission to a new monthly recipe group known as It's Gluten Free, Pass It On. I'm joining other awesome gluten free bloggers like Mi Gluten Free Gal and Good for You Gluten Free to celebrate one gluten free ingredient each month. May was all about paleo flours - from coconut to almond to Bob Red Mills paleo flour blend - and boy do I have some delicious gluten free recipes to share. 

Dye-Free Coconut Rainbow Cookies (Gluten Free, Vegan)

In fact, if my Dye-Free Coconut Rainbow Cookies have got your stomach rumbling, here are some other recipes using paleo flours that you can explore:
Of course, I'll always be partial to my gluten free and vegan rainbow cookies. (Because who doesn't love a gluten free cookies recipe that is as colorful as it is healthy?). And if you liked this vegan cookies recipe too, show me by tweeting some love. 


Dye-Free Coconut Rainbow Cookies (Gluten Free, Vegan)

And if another recipe from the Pass It On group is making you drool (and you know that at least one is!), share your thoughts using the hashtag #PassItOnGF

Like I said in the beginning of this post, rainbow recipes - whether it's rainbow cookies, rainbow cake or rainbow cupcakes - have an irresistible appeal. But when you make your rainbow cookies gluten-free, vegan and sugar-free, this edible rainbow is downright addictive


What recipe from GF Pass It On do you want to make first? Have you ever made a rainbow recipe? Tell me in the comments! 

Comments

  1. This looks like such a great recipe! Thanks for sharing! I am excited to try this this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies are so clever and cute! If you can make them with natural dyes, why can't the Big Food companies? Ha! Thank you for sharing such a colorful recipe and making gluten-free fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors your were able to create with the fruits. I get so dependent on my dye kit I forget to go basic. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw these earlier! They look interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw these earlier! They look interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea...so fun and I bet they are really delicious too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your use of fruits and natural ingredients to create your colors! So creative and what fun for children to learn - this is the kind of "science" experiment I would have loved as a kid! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would've loved this kind of science experiment for sure!

      Delete
  8. These look so pretty!! How cool! I love that they only need a few ingredients too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, it’s a nice one, I have been looking for. Thanks for sharing such informative stuff.
    breast milk supplement

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts