"Eat Yo' Greens" Mini Baked Pancakes (GF, Vegan)

You're shuffling around the house on a Sunday morning with your favorite pancake batter on your left and a warm skillet on your right. As you slowly pour a little batter into the pan, you tell yourself that today will be the day - the day your pancakes come out Instagram worthy, instead of a mountain of torn (but delicious) pieces. Only for, once again, your pancake to crumble as you try to flip it.

Sound familiar? I know I can relate. Pancakes and I have a special relationship - I love them, they love me but my inept flipping skills often keep us apart. Until I played with Cora's brilliant baked pancake breakfast pizza to create smaller, spinach-packed pancakes with no flipping (or flipping out) necessary!

"Eat Yo' Greens" Mini Baked Pancakes (Gluten Free, Vegan)

In particular, these mini pancakes are fluffy and soft yet durable enough to be picked up by hand, sweet but not sugary, and are gluten free, vegan and free of most allergens. Besides taste, these pancakes also pack a nutritional punch. They boast protein from the buckwheat, whole grains from brown rice, Vitamin K and A from spinach and Vitamin B6 and manganese from the banana.

How to eat your greens...and your pancakes too? Start by gathering a few simple ingredients.

Ingredients for The Best Baked Gluten Free Pancakes:

(Makes roughly two dozen mini pancakes)

2/3 cup of buckwheat flour (I ground my own using my Nutribullet and buckwheat groats)
1/2 cup of brown rice flour (again, ground my own)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 TBSP mashed banana (around 3/4 one ripe banana)
1 cup water blended with a liberal handful of greens (spinach, lettuce, spring mix, etc) - plus 2 TBSP of water

(If you're craving pancakes with a super hit of protein, try Cora's original recipe - it uses quinoa flour instead of brown rice flour!)

How to Make Your Vegan Pancakes

Before you get your baking on, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, these pancakes are as simple as mixing all your ingredients (once the flours have been ground in a high-speed blender or coffee grinder, if necessary) in a large bowl. Add the water (blended with you choice of greens) last, slowly incorporating until your batter is thick but will "drip" from your mixing utensil.

"Eat Yo' Greens" Mini Baked Pancakes (Gluten Free, Vegan)
Chocolate nicecream + green pancakes = delish!

Then, lay out parchment paper on a pizza pan (I've found that these create the fluffiest textures, but any baking pan or tray will work!) and start creating small pancakes. I like to use a tablespoon to pour the batter and flatten it into small circles. Feel free to make whatever size (or even shape) pancake you like - for a crepe-esque feel, you can even flatten the batter into thinner disks. Don't forget to experiment with add-in's either...because the only thing better than a dose of greens in pancakes would be a dose of greens and chocolate in pancakes!

Once your pancakes are poised and ready, just pop your trays into the oven for around 35 minutes. You want them to still be slightly soft to the touch, but to hold together when you peel them from the tray. Keep in mind that the pancakes will also stiffen as they cool.

As for how to eat these babies? The options really are endless. Personally, I love using them as toppers to my homemade smoothie bowls and for a night snack with So Delicious coconut yogurt and nut butter. You could also eat them as a "traditional" pancake breakfast and top with berries, banana, nut butter and melted chocolate. I can even attest that these make the perfect road trip snack - in fact, I made one batch before leaving from California to Colorado and I ate at least three every day!

"Eat Yo' Greens" Mini Baked Pancakes (Gluten Free, Vegan)
My kind of sundae ;)







You've probably heard the saying that when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. In this case, when life gives you the flipping skills of a dolphin with a broken tail, you turn on the oven instead of warming up a pan. And trust me...eating your greens has never tasted so sweet!


*Also found at What's Cookin' WednesdayRunning with SpoonsVegetarianMamaFoodie FridaySnickerdoodle Sunday, Allergy Free Thursday and SaucySaturdays!*


What's one kitchen skill you can never master? Your favorite way to "eat your greens"? Tell me below - I can't wait to hear!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Who says good things can't come in small (and green) packages? ;)

      Delete
  2. I love these little things!! I used to make green monster pancakes all the time - but haven't in a while. I'm definitely going to try this recipe out. I bet my little sister would think these pancakes are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Kat! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do...I'm definitely addicted!

      Delete
  3. Never would have thought to add greens to a pancake. Cool idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts