Cooking with Sunflower Seeds: Tips and Tricks
First, breakfast - one of my favorite times to munch on some seeds. As fans of my Instagram have seen plenty of times, no smoothie bowl is complete (to my taste buds' standards) without a crunchy topping. Cue the sunflower seeds! While you can definitely sprinkle your own raw seeds on a smoothie, I personally love using Enjoy Life's Beach Bash Trail Mix, which is packed with sunflower and pumpkin seeds, along with some dried fruit.
|A few breakfast favorites!|
Now, for lunch or dinner. One of the best parts about sunflower seeds is that they can be sweet or savory. You (and your cravings) decide. Sunflower (and their alter-ego, pumpkin) seeds make the perfect crunchy accessory to a veggie rainbow bowl or stuffed zucchini balls or boats. You can even use sunflower seeds as a crumble topping for homemade mac and cheese!
|All that pesto and seeds!|
Finally, dessert (or a sweet snack). I always add some raw sunflower seeds into my bliss balls for a crunchy, chewy, creamy pre-workout snack. Like with the granola, you can also grind sunflower seeds in a meal or even create your own sun butter for a creamy core! Besides including the sunflower seeds in the bliss balls, you can also roll them in the sunflower meal for a crunchy exterior. You can also add sunflowers into my superfood cookies instead of banana chips and/or cacao nibs - dessert has never been so healthy and delicious at the same time!
|A bite of bliss!|
- Sunflower Seed Butter Cheesecake: Audrey always delivers delicious, allergen-friendly recipes...and this cheesecake is no exception! Sunflower butter has never tasted so cold and creamy.
- Sunflower Seed Alfredo Sauce: An Alfredo sauce minus the dairy? Creamy, dreamy - yes please!
- Homemade Sunshine Burger: Vegans, look no further for a tasty burger than this patty made from brown rice, sunflower seeds, carrots and spices. I haven't made this yet, but it is high on my to-do list...
- Best Vegan Double Chocolate Sunflower Brownies: I'd be remiss if I didn't list a recipe from one of my favorite bloggers, Brandi at The Vegan 8. I saw chocolate plus sunflower seeds and was sold.
- Raw Sunflower Seed Sour Cream: I'll admit that I've never been a huge fan of sour cream, but I'm pretty sure that this vegan version would convert me...
As I've said several times before, celiac has been a blessing as much as (at times) a curse. Celiac motivated me to try tons of new foods, many of which have become staples of my diet...including the modest sunflower seed.
Who knew eating outside of the box would be so tasty?
*Also found at Best of the Blogosphere, Totally Terrific Tuesday, Wine'd Down Wednesday, What's Cookin' Wednesday, Let's Get Real, VegetarianMama and ShareFest!*
Has celiac disease - or food allergies - expanded your diet even as it limits it? How do you enjoy sunflower seeds? Comment below!
(Like this post? Don't forget to share it on Twitter or Facebook and sign up to join my email list!)