How to Celebrate National Cheese Lovers Day, Gluten Free and Vegan Style
So what does a gluten free and vegan diner need to celebrate National Cheese Lovers Day - minus, well, the actual cheese? Whether you're looking for dairy free cheese products or homemade recipes, have a craving for pizza or a healthier version of your mama's mac n' cheese, here are some easy, delicious way to get your dose of vegan cheese this holiday!
Some nights, you just want to walk in the door from work and throw together dinner in thirty minutes of less. Those nights, dairy free cheese products are a
My favorite (totally unsponsored - though I wouldn't turn down some Daiya love, wink wink!) product is Daiya's Mozzarella Style Shreds. Made with ingredients like tapioca flour, pea protein and coconut oil, these shreds are free of most allergens and melt just like "regular" cheese. Although they definitely have an acquired taste, a little bit of this creamy goodness goes a long way in recipes. In particular, I use Daiya shreds to top my vegan buckwheat pizza and in my stove top veggie mac n' cheese. As a rule of thumb (or taste buds), use Daiya when you just want a sprinkle of cheese on the top of your meal.
|Is it obvious that I <3 pizza?|
The recipe that always pops up in my kitchen is TheVegan8's magical fat-free vegan cheese sauce, which uses steamed zucchini and potatoes plus a variety of spices. For an even simpler sauce, you can make my version of Brandi's recipe, which just combines all of the following ingredients in a high-powered blender:
2 big Yukon potatoes or 1/2 a russet potato, baked or steamed
1/2 large zucchini or squash, steamed
1/4 cup of water or unsweetened dairy free milk of choice
Liberal scoop of turmeric powder
Liberal shake of mustard powder
Sprinkle of paprika
Optional: sprinkle of oregano and/or thyme
How to eat it? (Besides using chips as a spoon). Stuff it into spaghetti squash for a healthier version of enchiladas, or transform boring zucchini into a creamy masterpiece that will have you craving vegetables.This sauce also holds up in a crock pot for easy meals like stacked enchiladas or secretly superfood-packed mac n' cheese!
|Those close up shots...|
- Carrot-and-Potato-Packed Vegan Cheese: finally - cheese where you don't have to worriedly ask, "Why is it orange?"
- Super Creamy Stovetop Mac and "Cheese": this recipe combines baked sweet potato, butternut squash and coconut milk for a thick, creamy sauce that will have you licking the plate clean. This is also the perfect use for leftover sweet potatoes (if you don't always devour them right away, at least)!
- Zucchini Cheese: this recipe is just what its name says - cheese made out of zucchini! Just when I think zucchini can't get any more awesome (or tasty)...
- Cashew-Less Vegan Queso: if only eggplant looked like this from the start!
|Raw, vegan cafes apparently have the best cashew cheese quesadillas!|
- The Best Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce: why not enjoy the best of both worlds with a sauce made from potatoes and cashews!?!
- Cashew Ricotta Cheese: in case you thought your ricotta days were over when you went vegan, this recipe will prove you very (delightfully) wrong.
- Gourmet (Vegan) Cheese: this sliceable cheese is just begging for a cheese platter and a fancy dinner with friends...
- Blueberry Cream Cheese: here's proof that cashews can play for the sweet side too!
- Cheese (With Spring Onion): cashews not your thang? Then try out this combination of sunflower seeds and pine nuts instead.
Because, the truth is, your diet is only as restrictive as you let it. And whether you're a traditional cheese lover or a vegan foodie looking for your latest addiction, these recipes are guaranteed to help you celebrate National Cheese Lovers Day in delicious, dairy free style!
*Also found in What's Cookin' Wednesday, VegetarianMama, Pretty Pintastic, Saucy Saturdays, Dare to Share, RunningwithSpoons!*
What's your favorite dairy free product? Have you ever made your own cheese sauce? Tell me your thoughts below!