15 Thoughts Everyone Has Crying During a Yoga Class

Just picture this: it's 5:30 on a Saturday night and you're busy (carefully) balancing and (heavily) breathing during a hot yoga class at your local studio. 

Then, suddenly, it happens. A song comes on that reminds you of an ex-boyfriend, that time you saw a dead bunny decorating the side of a highway, or anything in between. And, in between the sweat, the grunts and the ujjayi breathing, a tear begins to trickle down your face. 

casey the college celiac
And so it begins...
As quickly as the instructor says, "Time to flow," these 15 thoughts probably race through your mind. 

(Based on a recent and true story. Skeptical of or curious about why people may cry during yoga? Just google "crying yoga" and prepare for an avalanche of articles). 

1. Is that a tear? Or are my eyes just sweating with me? They both taste salty so how am I supposed to know? 

2. Crap, I'm definitely crying. I know they say yoga can bring up "all kinds of feelings" in their brochure, but they weren't serious, right?

casey the college celiac
Sweat...check!
3. Does that mean their other claims are right too? *Reminds self to check for abs and a suddenly younger appearance in the mirror when home*

4. Okay, I can do this. Just breathe...push it out of your mind...while balancing on one foot, breathing only through my nose and trying to not slip on my own sweat. 

5. Thank God. Downward dog. *Sneakily wipe my face on my sleeve while throwing my left foot in the air.*

6. Why are all these songs about love and death? Why don't we "shake it off" while we meditate today, huh?

casey the college celiac
My kind of dance party?
7. Good, we've hit the ab session. That means we're halfway through. Feel the burn, focus on the burn...of my abs, not my eyes?

8. What else are you supposed to say when instructors ask mid-class, "How's everyone's doing?" "Great, except my thighs are shaking and I think you've strained my sentimental tendon." I say: "Great!" with everyone else instead. 

9. At least no one can see tears when your face is already a sweaty tomato, right? *Peeks around people in front of me to see the mirror* Hot mess, perfect disguise!

10. Wait, how many people have cried in a yoga class when I thought they were just sweating profusely

casey the college celiac
Mind. Blown.
11. *Pats self on the back for not ever wearing mascara to yoga* Genius right here. 

12. Okay, I think I've recovered now...except now she wants us to curl up in a ball and see how it feels to be constricted. It feels like I'm going to tear up again. Only partially because it's hard to breathe

13. *Stealthily uses washcloth meant to wipe sweat from face to dab eyes*

14. Finally, chavasna. Can I get an extra spritz of those reviving oils please? Physically and emotionally dead over here!


casey the college celiac
Success!
15. *Says "Namaste" and walks out of yoga, drenched in sweat, feeling like a badass.* Time for a hot date with a shower and ginormous bowl of nana ice cream. 


*Also found at Sunday Fitness and Food LinkUp and RunningwithSpoon's Link Love!*


Have you ever cried or experienced unexpected emotions during yoga? Relate to any of these thoughts? Comment below! 


Comments

  1. Um yes. I once did a 30-day yoga challenge, and I swear I cried at least 20 of those days. I was going through a rough time, but it was a bit ridiculous. It did make me feel better, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! It's definitely interesting how some classes are totally "happy-go-lucky" and other ones you find yourself crying all of a sudden. Glad I'm not the only one! :) Thanks for the comment Tara

      Delete
  2. HA! That totally happened to me at my first restorative yoga class. Good thing we were using bolsters and I could just bury my head in the pillow to hide my crying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Glad you had a secret weapon to disguise your tears! ;)

      Delete
  3. Great post! I've been there too, but I have to say I have cried during running several times too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I hadn't thought of that, but that's happened to me before too!

      Delete
  4. YES. And I have no idea where it comes from half the time - I'm just suddenly bawling and also struggling to hold poses. It's very attractive :) The same thing has happened to me after massages. It's as if releasing some physical tension releases the emotional tension, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to put it - physical tension probably is related to emotional tension even more than we realize. I love your blog by the way :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts