A College Celiac's Top Gluten Free Snacks for the New Year

This New Year's, what accomplishments from 2016 will you be celebrating? Starting - and kicking butt - at your new job? Putting an old relationship behind you? What about simply surviving the chaos that was, in a lot of ways, 2016?

For this college celiac, 2016 certainly came with plenty of highs, lows and memories. However, if this last year was anything, it was definitely tasty! To help you start 2017 on the right (make that healthy) foot, I thought one more throwback was necessary: a round up of my favorite gluten free products from 2016!

casey the college celiac


So grab a mug of hot cocoa, have a bib handy (in case of any drool), and get ready to explore some of this college celiac's favorite gluten free snacks. Some are sponsored, some are old favorites...but all are 100% delicious, celiac-safe and perfect fuel for 2017!

1. Snack simply with Bare Snacks' banana chips.

I've always been a sucker for sweet and crunchy snacks, and Bare Snacks' range of fruit chips easily checks off both boxes. My personal favorite are their banana chips, which are gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free. If you want an even more "desserty" snack, try their Cinnamon or Cacao varieties.

I love eating these straight from the bag...especially when I was stuck in class (college students, Bare Snacks can make boring courses much more than "barely" tolerable) or busy running errands. They also add a delicious crunch to smoothie bowls or yogurt parfaits. Basically? These chips will keep you from going bananas this new year!

2. Enjoy bagels free of gluten but packed with flavor thanks to Snackin' Free.

As anyone on a gluten free diet (for celiac, gluten intolerance or personal choice) has experienced, finding gluten free bread that doesn't taste like cardboard can feel like searching for the holy grail. Luckily for 2017 snackers, this holy grail has a website full of delicious, paleo options - ranging from bagels to granola to (my family's favorite) BBQ sauce.

casey the college celiac
Finger lickin' good!

For an energy-packed pre-workout snack, try toasting half a cinnamon raisin bagel and topping it with nut butter and sliced banana. Craving an afternoon pick-me-up? Try mixing yogurt with berries, nut butter and Snackin' Free granola (some of the chewiest clusters I've ever tasted) for a sweet yet nutritious treat.

3. Taste (allergy-free) inner peace with Namaste Foods.

I never thought it was a cookie person. Pancakes? Yes please. Cake? Add some So Delicious ice cream and I'm a happy camper. But this past Christmas, Namaste Foods proved me wrong in the most delicious of ways. Their Organic Pumpkin Baking mix can make everything from pancakes to scones to (of course) cookies...and my vegan pumpkin cookies boast only three ingredients!

Whether you like a bite of something sweet before bed or a treat to fuel you through a hard workout, these health(ier) cookies are the perfect choice, all year long. I haven't had a chance to try any of Namaste Foods' other products, but if they're anything like their Organic Pumpkin Mix, you won't even miss the gluten (or any of the other top 8 allergens)!

4. Discover that good things come in small packages with Pipcorn.

So, this 5'2" blogger obviously shows that small packages can have some amazing properties...but if you need more convincing, Pipcorn is the perfect (edible) proof! Pipcorn is a mini popcorn (around half the size of normal!) that's also all natural, gluten free, non-GMO, vegan, and whole grain.

casey the college celiac
Pipcorn + granola = crunchy heaven!

Pipcorn can also fulfill any of your salty, sweet or savory cravings since it comes in five flavors: Sea Salt, Truffle oil, Kettle, Rosemary and, their newest, Chili Lab. For a light snack, Pipcorn is delicious by itself. If you're looking for a heartier post-workout treat, add (protein) nana ice cream, So Delicious yogurt, or chia seed pudding.

5. Dip into delish with Dolci Di Maria's biscotti.

Okay, I'll admit it. 2016 was also the year I became addicted to biscotti. Since I've never drank coffee, I'd never tried biscotti before Dolci Di Maria sent me a sample. Well, I haven't changed my mind about coffee...but biscotti has definitely become my new favorite morning snack.

Dolci di Maria's biscotti is not only gluten and dairy free, but it's also flaky and full of vanilla flavor and chocolate chunks. If you know you have a hard day coming up, this is definitely my suggested snacking fuel!

6. Send your taste buds on an edible vacation with Aloha's Dark Chocolate Coconut bar.

Don't you love it when a snack can double as dessert - in taste, not nutrition? I've tasted a lot of snack bars in my days; I'd say they come with the college student territory. However, Aloha's still sticks out in my mind (and taste buds) as one of the tastiest gluten free options.

casey the college celiac
Just taking a bite of my chocolate bar...

As I shared in my review
, these coconut bar tastes like an addictive combination of granola and bliss balls: although packed with crunchy nuts and seeds, chewy ingredients like maple and rice syrup hold everything together. Considering that these bars lasted less than a week in my kitchen, I'd say they are definitely worth another bite in 2017!

7. Get the best of all worlds thanks to Gourmet Gift Baskets.

You didn't think I could end 2016 without one last product review, do you? My Christmas was made extra special this year thanks to a surprise from Gourmet Gift Baskets! I received their "Gluten Free Gift Basket Premium," which includes goodies like:

  • Peanut Brittle by Old Dominion 
  • Organic Dude Ranch Multigrain Chips (which my gluten-lovin' dad and sister devoured within a week)
  • Almond Nougat by Golden BonBon
  • Pineapple, Coconut & Macadamia Orchard Bar by Liberty Orchards (the best mix of crunchy chewy with a tropical twist)
  • Gluten Free Olive Oil & Herb Crackers by Partners
  • Cranberry Pomegranate Clusters by 180 Snacks (in one word: heaven)
  • Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper Baked Potato Sticks by Merrimack Valley Snack Company 

Although this probably isn't the right gift basket for someone with a nut allergy, it's the perfect choice for a foodie wanting to try a bite of everything. Not to mention you'll be stocked in snacks for a couple weeks at least!

casey the college celiac
A gift basket of a gluten free foodie's dreams!

It's impossible to deny that 2016 was full of surprises, whether good, bad or undetermined. However, why not end this year - and start the new year - on a sweeter note with some help from a few delicious, healthy and gluten free snacks? After all, you can't conquer 2017 on an empty stomach!


*I received some of these products in exchange for a review; however, all opinions and thoughts are my own*

*Also found at Pretty Pintastic Party, Saucy Saturdays, Tasty Tuesdays!*

What are some of your favorite snacks from 2016? What snacks do you want to try in 2017? Comment below!




Comments

Popular Posts