Saying Goodbye to College and Hello to New Beginnings

How do you really say goodbye to the college that has been your home for three and a half years? To the friends who've made everyday - even the awful ones - feel like Christmas? To the teachers who've transformed into mentors, role models and even peers?

Honestly, I don't really know - but today is officially the end of this celiac's undergrad career. And, as excited as I am to fly home to Colorado tomorrow afternoon, I can't help but cry over everything that I'm leaving behind. 

casey the college celiac


Yet, if I've learned one thing from my entire college experience, it's that endings are the start of new adventures. 

The end of a "normal" freshman year - thanks to a hospital stay and a super fashionable feeding tube - was the start of thriving with celiac disease. 

The end of receiving meals from my college cafeteria was the start of too many tasty kitchen experiments to count. 

The end of my first relationship was the beginning of stronger relationships with people who I know will always be just a call away. 

The end of my life in Poway, California is the start of snowy hikes and gorgeous views and gluten free bistros in Colorado Springs.

casey the college celiac
A few minutes from our CO home...
And, just like those endings, I know the end of college will bring the start of new memories

So what is next for this (graduated) college celiac?

Savoring time with my family in our new Colorado home - and devouring plenty of homemade Christmas cookies along the way. 

Accepting an (almost) full-time position at Entity Magazine as Senior Editor

Waiting to hear back from grad schools...any well wishes or luck you can send me would be appreciated!

Returning to PLNU in January to officially walk, receive my diploma and graduate

Dream of where I'll be by this time next year! What state will I be living in? What new friends will I have made? What's my latest snacking addiction? All to be determined!

casey the college celiac
This will probably be my definition of winter fashion...
Even though I've learned enough to graduate college (with a 4.0 I may add - I think I earned a little bragging after how hard I worked for that!), I know I still have plenty to learn. I don't know how well I'm going to adjust to post-graduation life - or to Colorado's freezing winter temperatures!

But I know I have so many people to thank for how far I've come. My parents, who never failed to support me - even when things went horribly wrong. My sister, who I've watched bloom into a college sophomore. My friends - Meghan, Chris, Hannah, Sarah, Natalie, and far too many others to name - who love me whether I'm a hilarious hot mess or, well, just a mess

And, you, readers. You've read my story since I started college to the day I'm walking out of class for the last time. Don't worry - the blog will keep on keepin' on, and a name change is one future possibility (either before or after grad school). 

Until then, I suppose I'm writing all to say more than just goodbye to my undergrad journey. I'm writing it to say hello to all of the surprises that are to come. 

casey the college celiac
Me livin' it up by the ocean as a storm was coming...
I'm sure there's an analogy in there somewhere!
Because, sometimes, "hello" is the most accurate "goodbye." 


*Also found at Dare to Share!*


Do you have any big life changes coming up? What endings have turned into beginnings for you? Tell me below! 

Comments

  1. Casey, it has been an absolute PLEASURE watching your thrive and grow over these last few years - you are wiser beyond your years - and should be VERY proud of your accomplishments thus far - a job, right out of college? UNHEARD OF - and your blog has such success - it's incredible, I don't know how you manage/keep up with ALL that you do - but I admire you! And I absolutely love your writing style ;) I absolutely LOVE being a teacher, it IS my dream job, but in another life - i would have been a writer, guess that's why I like to write/blog sometimes - as for me, life changes, I BOUGHT A HOUSE with my fiance, and we are gETTING MARRIED THIS SUMMER - not sure how the blog fits in with these things, I find less of a need for online validation and blogging more and more, because I have so much joy and abundance in my real life <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy for you Amber for all of your adventures this 2016! I definitely hope to make 2017 my "year of yes," as you called it. You're always such an inspirational role model for me with your constant positivity, support and smiles. You deserve all the happiness in the world, girlie!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on everything, especially your position at Entity Magazine!!!!!! Reading this made me more excited for the future because I'm currently a junior in college and becoming a Senior Editor at a magazine is actually one of my career goals! Congrats again and I hope you enjoy every minute of it!

    xo,
    Jasmin
    www.macaronsandmascaraonline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're career goals become reality one day soon, Jasmin! Keep kicking booty in college. It'll fly by and be over before you know it!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful and endless possibilities await you, Casey! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words, Rebecca. Happy New Years!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts