12 Tips for Gluten Free Air Travel During the Holidays
So, without further delay, here's a gluten free traveler's 12 Days of Christmas.
- Oatless Oatmeal Crunchy Clusters. If you've ever had your oatmeal turned away because it contains too much liquid, this recipe is a gluten free traveler's best friend! I simply made it the night before and stored it in a plastic container with strawberries and one banana.
- Enjoy Life Trail Mix. Whether you can't tolerate nuts, you want to accommodate flight passengers with allergies or you just want a delicious snack, you can't go wrong with this trail mix. When I have it on hand, I eat some of it every day. It's a tasty smoothie topper, and an even better snack on a plane!
- Mini baked pancakes. Since I knew my oatless oatmeal clusters wouldn't hold me over as long as a smoothie usually does, I made some mini pancakes the night before my flight. These are winners for snacks or breakfast.
- Homemade granola. You didn't think I'd forget my favorite part of breakfast, right? The truth is, flying is freakin' stressful, so comfort food is a must. Snacky comfort food that's also portable? Even better!
|The ugly and the pretty shots!|
|Real life eats...|
5. On the fifth day of Christmas, a savvy celiac packed...a plastic bag for ice cubes.
- Put your food in the freezer about an hour to an hour and a half before you leave for the airport. For my Chipotle, I simply sealed it tight in a plastic bag, and popped it in the freezer. Seven hours later, it was perfectly defrosted and still cold.
- Use frozen food as an ice pack. Since regular ice packs aren't allowed through security, use bags of frozen veggies or bagged frozen meats. I used a bag of frozen Daiya cheese!
- Bring a small plastic bag, and after you go through security, ask (or pay) a restaurant to fill it with ice. You can also pull a Casey and ask for a cup of ice along with your water during your flight.
6. On the sixth day of Christmas, a savvy celiac packed...charcoal pills in case of an upset stomach.
8. On the eighth day of Christmas, a savvy celiac packed...cash to use on lots of water.
|The usual suitcase sneak peek...|
11. On the eleventh day of Christmas, a savvy celiac packed...plenty of (gluten free) reading for the flight.
*Also found at What'd You Do This Weekend, Inspiration Monday, Turn it Up Tuesday, Wine'd Down Wednesday, Wow Me Wednesday*