5-Minute Crunchy Greens Quesadilla (Gluten Free, Vegan)

I'll admit it. Even though I have hundreds of recipes bookmarked on my computer (not to mention recipes I've created myself), sometimes I have no idea what I want to eat. And, when that happens, one 5-minute lunch or dinner usually comes to my rescue: my crunchy greens quesadilla.

I mean, just picture it: it's half an hour past your usual dinner time and, although your stomach has been rumbling, your mind is blank. Nothing is calling to you but you obviously need to eat something - and fast. So you grab your favorite tortilla, some greens from the fridge, fresh avocado or pesto, and get to work.

5-Minute Crunchy Greens Quesadilla (Gluten Free, Vegan)

Minutes later, your messy masterpiece is ready: a quesadilla that is tender and gooey on the inside, but crunchy on the edges. The perfect vehicle for a range of leftovers or any ingredients you happen to have in your fridge. And did I mention that this dinner is allergy friendly? Depending on the tortilla you choose, your easy dinner can not only be gluten free, but also vegan, nut free and even paleo. 

Ready to discover your new, go-to lazy dinner? Here's a basic list of ingredients for one quesadilla. (If you use a small tortilla and aren't serving this with a hearty side, make two!)

5-Minute Crunchy Greens Quesadilla (Gluten Free, Vegan)

Ingredients for one

- One tortilla of choice. I prefer BFree Foods (gf, vegan, soy free, nut free), Potapas (made out of potatoes!) or Food for Life (only a handful of ingredients, with the main one being rice) 
- Greens of choice (I love spinach or kale. Make sure your greens are delicious when heated and wilted, unlike iceberg)
- Green pesto (you can use my nut-free recipe, or your favorite homemade or store-bought version), or ripe avocado 
- Extras: Leftover protein source (salmon is especially delicious, as are mashed black beans); leftover cooked veggies; cheese (I love Daiya's vegan cheese); fresh herbs (oregano, thyme, etc) 

This recipe is about as simple as cooking can get. Begin by defrosting your tortilla as needed. I usually just leave mine out at room temperature for a few minutes as I gather my other ingredients. Then, start loading on the toppings. Start by spreading your pesto or mashed avocado on your tortilla. Next, add the greens, cheese, veggies and protein. Don't worry if your quesadilla gets a little overloaded. If any ingredients fall out during cooking, just stuff them back in right before serving

5-Minute Crunchy Greens Quesadilla (Gluten Free, Vegan)

Now, the fun part: cooking. Grab a skillet and turn on the heat to medium/high. Once it feels warm (when holding your hand above the skillet), add your quesadilla, folded over once into a sideways taco. I personally don't use any oil when searing; since I keep my tortillas frozen until use, the leftover moisture on the tortilla acts as an oil substitute. 

Let your quesadilla cook on one side for a few minutes before flipping with a spatula. Make sure you keep an eye on your dinner and turn down the heat as needed; it can burn quick! Once your quesadilla is crunchy to the touch and your stuffing looks cooked through and gooey, flip your quesadilla onto a plate to serve.

5-Minute Crunchy Greens Quesadilla (Gluten Free, Vegan)

My favorite sides with this quesadilla? When I eat this as a light lunch between classes, I keep it simple with broiled veggies, crunchy lettuce and pesto or mashed avocado for dipping. If I need a more substantial meal, I'll add a baked potato or roasted sweet potato. You can also serve with whatever mish-mash of leftovers you have on hand. (Am I the only one who loves creating "snack plates" of leftovers for dinner?) 

Now, this isn't the most sophisticated or fancy dinner. However, real life isn't always gourmet. And, as quick and easy as this recipe is, it still packs a nutritious punch: easily digestible carbs from the tortilla; various vitamins and minerals from the greens; protein of your choice; and healthy fats from a seed-loaded pesto or mashed avocado. Not to mention tons of flavor and versatility! 

5-Minute Crunchy Greens Quesadilla (Gluten Free, Vegan)

When talking about coping with life's surprises, you've probably heard the cliche, "Roll with the punches." Maybe rolling up bunch of delicious ingredients into a quesadilla is one hidden meaning in that old piece of advice


What would you stuff your quesadilla with? What's your favorite tortilla brand? Tell me your thoughts below! 

Comments

  1. That's a gorgeous quesadilla! I love finding ways to add greens to my diet that taste really good and that I can get my son to eat. This seems to be one of those recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am officially hungry now! This looks delicious! I love a good quesadilla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm...my stomach is grumbling just reading about this. I haven't had a quesadilla in forever. But I used to make them all the time on an old school George Forman grill. In fact, I bought it just to make quesadillas. Needless to say, the one you made looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gluten free and vegan?! Yes please! Can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my reaction to every gf and vegan recipe I find! ;)

      Delete
  5. I would love to try those Bfree wraps! This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! Even when eaten straight out of the bag (unusual for gluten free tortillas).

      Delete
  6. I totally love quesadillas for how easy and quick they are to prepare! Spinach is a great addition that I don't normally do! Will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you can throw all of the leftovers in a quesadilla and it turns out delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how easy this is and that it is made from left overs!! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quesadilla recipe looks so easy and simple. Need to make this now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have the same 5-minute food cravings ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts